Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stars Collide by Janice Thompson



book cover

Stars Collide
by Janice Thompson


ISBN-13: 9780800733452
Trade Paperback: 324 pages
Publisher: Revell
Released: Jan. 2011


Source: Review copy from the publisher.

Book Description from Back Cover:
Kat Jennings and Scott Murphy don't just play two people who are secretly in love on a television sitcom--they are also head over heels for each other in real life. When the lines between reality and TV land blur, they hope they can keep their relationship under wraps. But when Kat's grandmother, an aging Hollywood starlet with a penchant for wearing elaborate evening gowns from Golden Age movies, mistakes their on-screen wedding proposal for the real deal, things begin to spiral out of their control. Will their secret be front-page news in the tabloids tomorrow? And can their budding romance survive the onslaught of paparazzi, wedding preparations, and misinformed in-laws?

From the sound stage to a Beverly Hills mansion to the gleaming Pacific Ocean, Stars Collide takes readers on a roller-coaster tour of Tinseltown, packing both comedic punch and tender emotion.


My Review:
Stars Collide is a humorous Christian romance with a serious side. The characters get themselves into a very funny situation, but the book also deals with Kat's grandma's Alzheimer's disease, the pressures others can put on you, and Kat's fear that Scott will abandon her like her father did.

The characters were sweet, funny, and engaging. The details about Hollywood life brought the story alive in my imagination. I liked that a character pointed out that the real love story begins after most romance movies and novels end...so I was a little disappointed that this novel ended were romance novels typically do. Ah, well!

The main characters were Christians, and their faith affected their everyday life (so there were some brief prayers). There was no sex. There was a very minor amount of "he cussed" style of bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this well-written, humorous romance.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Excerpt from Chapter One
"You want me to kiss him...where?" I stared at my director, hoping I'd somehow misunderstood his last-minute change to the script.

A look of exasperation crossed his face. "On the lips, of course. This is a family show, Kat. Remember?"

"Of course." I nodded and fought to keep my breathing even as I rephrased my question. "I mean, where in the scene? Beginning, middle, or end? What's my cue?"

"Oh." A look of relief passed over Mark Wilson's face as he sank into his director's chair. "At the very end of the scene. Right after Jack says, 'This has been a long time coming, Angie.' At that point I want the two of you to kiss. On the lips. In a passionate but family-friendly way. PG, not PG-13."

Read more using Google Preview.

No comments: