Thursday, December 31, 2009

Do book bloggers buy books? Yes!

I wanted to demonstrate that even book bloggers who receive a nice number of free review books still buy books. I gave about half of these bought books away as gifts, and many of these gift books were books that I originally discovered through reading the review copies that were sent to me.

Number of books I bought new in 2009: 83
Number of books I bought used in 2009: 81

And, for reference, I read about 180 books this year.


Out of curiosity, have any of my readers ended up buying a book I reviewed? If so, which one(s)?

Other book bloggers, have you bought many books this year? How many of these books did you first discover through reviews you've seen on other book blogs? Did you give books as gifts? Which ones?

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my addiction! :)

I didn't keep track of purchases simply because I don't want to change my habits. My budget would probably have a coronary if it knew the TRUE number of books I buy each year. I can say, though, that only about 8% of the books I buy are used. About 10% are Kindle books. I DO buy books as gifts, and those are always new.

How many books have I read? Well, my goal is at least 50 a year. I finished at least 45, but I haven't kept solid records the last couple months. There may be some I'm missing.

Doesn't sound like much to your 180, but I do have two small children and my "50" doesn't include any children's books. If I counted them, I'm sure I'd be able to compete with you.

Debbie said...

Tanya,

Yup. One nice thing about book blogging is that I'm in the company of other book addicts. :)

I actually have a "book money" line on my budget, thus part of the reason I know how many books I bought and if they were new or used. But your philosophy can have it's advantages. ;)

Previous years, I read about 52 books a year. This year, I gave up watching movies/TV at night, and suddenly I found I could read 4 books a week instead of 1.

I say you should be able to count children's books toward your total--one of the perks of having children, right? ;)

Sheila Deeth said...

You counted?

Maybe I'll make a new year resolution to count. Actually, I joined a reading group which might help me keep count this year.

Mona said...

I find your reviews good... here's the list so far...

Debbie said...

Sheila,

Well, I pretty much review every book I read, so it's mostly a matter of counting the reviews on my three book blogs.

Previous years, I didn't bother. I read about one book a week, so I'd estimate from that. So don't feel bad if you don't count. :)