Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Honorable Mentions From My Mailbox #2

I receive more books than I can read, so sometimes I begin a book but decide not to finish it due to my limited time. These "honorable mention reviews" are initial impressions, not complete evaluations of the books mentioned.

book cover
A Curious Beginning
by Deanna Raybourn


Source: ebook review copy from the publisher.

How Far Got: 90 pages

Book Description, Modified from Goodreads:
After burying her spinster aunt, the orphaned Veronica Speedwell is free to resume her world travels. As familiar with hunting butterflies as she is fending off admirers, Veronica wields her butterfly net and a sharpened hatpin with equal aplomb. When Veronica thwarts her own abduction, she meets an enigmatic German baron with ties to her mysterious past. The baron offers her temporary sanctuary in the care of his friend Stoker—a reclusive natural historian as intriguing as he is bad-tempered. But before the baron can deliver on his tantalizing vow to reveal the secrets he has concealed for decades, he is found murdered. Veronica and Stoker are forced to go on the run from an elusive assailant.

My Review:
A Curious Beginning is a historical set in London in 1887. I'd have called it a historical suspense, but Veronica didn't take the danger seriously, so I found I didn't, either. It was more a series of humorous interactions, at least as far as I got. I liked the overall tone and vivid descriptions, but the heroine was a thoroughly modern feminist dropped into the past. She traveled abroad by herself, had a job to support herself, and would sleep with any intriguing foreign man. She's also manipulative, coldly calculating, and out for herself. She's very certain that She Knows Best and everyone else is a bit obtuse. I grew tired of her attitude after a bit and quit reading. As far as I got, there wasn't a sex scene. There was a fair amount of bad language of all types.


book cover
Error in Diagnosis
by Mason Lucas, M.D.


Source: Review copy from the publisher.

How Far Got: 162 pages

Book Description from Goodreads:
A mysterious illness with disturbing symptoms is plaguing women across the United States. It begins with memory loss and confusion and ends with the patient falling into a coma. Medical professionals are at a loss for the cause, but one thing remains constant: All of the victims are pregnant.

Called in to consult on the case of his best friend’s wife, neurologist Jack Wyatt has never seen anything like it. Now, with the nation on the brink of panic, Jack and his colleagues are in race against time to find a cure.

The disease they are calling Gestational Neuropathic Syndrome (GNS) is spreading. Patients are dying—and no one can guess what will happen next

My Review:
Error in Diagnosis is a medical thriller, or at least a medical politics thriller. As far as I got, most of the scenes were of meetings where people sat around talking about the disease (and getting nowhere) or scenes of political maneuvering by doctors more interested in their reputation than in cooperating with others. There were hints that the action was about to pick up and maybe some headway made on the disease diagnosis, but I had other books available to review and I'm not very interested in political maneuvering, so I stopped reading. The hero seemed to tick off the females around him, so I doubt there will be any sex scenes. There was occasional use of bad language.

No comments: