Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

book cover
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
by Agatha Christie


ISBN-13: 9781579126278
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers
Released: 1926; September 2006

Source: Borrowed from my local library.

Book Description, Modified from Back Cover:
Village rumor hints that Mrs. Ferrars poisoned her husband. When she commits suicide, she sends a letter to Roger Ackroyd--the man she was going to marry--revealing who the blackmailer is. But before the blackmailer is publicly revealed, Roger Ackroyd is also murdered. The local inspector is convinced the butler did it, but luckily Hercule Poirot is there to investigate.


My Review:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is a historical mystery set in England in 1926 (though it was a contemporary mystery when it was written).

It's a clever, clue-based puzzle mystery. I had suspects but no clear idea of whodunit until the final clues were revealed at the end. Everything fell into place perfectly, and I knew whodunit before whodunit was revealed. I love it when my knowing and the "big reveal" are so close together. (I like to be able to correctly guess, but I don't like spending half a book knowing while the "smart" characters blunder around.)

While the whodunit mystery was brilliant, I didn't find the ending very satisfying. I don't like it when Poirot decides to take the law into his own hands.

There was no sex. There was a very minor amount of bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this mystery.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Excerpt: Read an excerpt using Google Preview.

No comments: