Wednesday, March 4, 2020

There is a Tide by Agatha Christie

book cover
There is a Tide
by Agatha Christie


ISBN: 0-553-35066-8
Hardcover: 216 pages
Publisher: Bantam Books
Released: 1948; 1987

Source: Checked out from the local library.

Book Description, Modified from Goodreads:
Shortly after marrying a young widow, Gordon Cloade is killed in the London blitz and the former Mrs Underhay inherits the Cloade family fortune. The Cloade family depends upon support from that fortune which is now denied them. The dead man's sister-in-law tells Poirot that she believes the widow's first husband is still alive. When a man whom may be that first husband turns up dead at a local inn, Poirot decides to investigate.


My Review:
There is a Tide (also titled "Taken at the Flood") is a mystery set in 1948 in England. Since it's a short book and there are a lot of secrets, I didn't feel like I got to know the characters very well and didn't really like them enough to care what happened to them. This was a clue-based puzzle mystery, and I could see at least four different scenarios for who was doing what and why.

I did finally settle on the correct person and motive for the murderer and guessed much of who was doing the rest of the sneaky stuff. The mystery aspect keep me engaged in finding scenarios, which was fun. However, I was a bit surprised that I could get whodunit and why right and yet still be wrong about some critical aspects of the underlying story (which were only revealed at the end).

There was no sex. There was occasional use of bad language. I'd recommend this convoluted but interesting mystery.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Excerpt: Read an excerpt using Google Preview.

No comments: