Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Author Quirks: Diane Noble

Next up is Diane Noble, author of The Veil. I asked her:

What's a quirky or little-known fact about yourself, your writing, and/or one of your novels? (For example, you can tell us about a non-standard pet you have, an unusual way you do your writing, a strange real life incident that inspired a scene in one of your novels, or so on.)


Diane Noble's answer:

A little known fact is that my characters become so real to me when I'm writing that I often cry (for their joys and/or sorrows) when I'm working on an emotional scene.

While writing The Veil, the closer I got to the climatic scene at Mountain Meadows the more difficult I knew it would be to write. So I kept adding more scenes to avoid what I knew, historically, had to happen. I had "lived" with the characters so long, they were as familiar as members of my own family. Each day, my historian hubby (who'd been with me while doing research Utah and at the Mountain Meadows site), would come to the door of my office, and ask, "Are you there yet?" I would shake my head and keep typing. One day he came to the door and found me sobbing as I typed. He said softly, "You're there," walked across the room, and put his arm around my shoulders as I continued to write the scene. I glanced up after a moment and saw that he was crying too.


Thank you, Ms. Noble, for telling us how writing touches your life.

No comments: