Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Envious Casca by Georgette Heyer

book cover
Envious Casca
by Georgette Heyer


ISBN-13: 9780099493662
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Arrow
Released: 1941;
October 24, 2006

Source: Borrowed from the library.

Book Description from Goodreadsr:
It is no ordinary Christmas at Lexham Manor. Six holiday guests find themselves the suspects of a murder enquiry when the old Scrooge, Nathaniel Herriad, who owns the substantial estate, is found stabbed in the back. For Inspector Hemingway of Scotland Yard, ‘tis the season to find whodunit but it’s a real conundrum how any of the suspects could have entered the locked room to commit this foul deed in the first place.


My Review:
Envious Casca is a historical mystery set in England in 1941. The characters were fairly normal (though self-centered) people who frequently squabbled, so there were plenty of suspects. There were some very funny squabbles in the story. I correctly guessed whodunit from the start for the very reasons that Inspector Hemingway later gave. The mystery was still how it was done--so many possibilities! I knew certain clues were important and howdunit is guessable, but I didn't guess it. I suppose my main idea was just to mundane to use.

There was no sex. There was a fair amount of bad language (mainly a swearing use of "God"). Overall, I'd recommend this enjoyable mystery.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


No comments: