Sunday, July 28, 2019

Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie

book cover
Cards on the Table
by Agatha Christie


ISBN-13: 9780425205952
Paperback: 324 pages
Publisher: Berkley
Released: 1936; July 5 2005

Source: Borrowed from the library.

Book Description, Modified from Goodreads:
It was the match-up of the century: four sleuths--Superintendent Battle of Scotland Yard; Mrs. Ariadne Oliver, famed writer of detective stories; Col. Race of His Majesty's Secret Service; and the incomparable Hercule Poirot - invited to play bridge with four specially invited guests, each of whom had gotten away with murder! But before the evening was over, the host was dead.


My Review:
Cards on the Table is a historical mystery set in 1936 in England (though it was written as a contemporary mystery).

The mystery was a clue-based puzzle and could be guessed, but it was not a straight-forward mystery. We know that most or all of the four guests have committed murder before and could have murdered the host. The question is which one (and who did they murder in the past)? Based on the initial clues, I was pretty certain of whodunit. Yet I could see where Poirot was going with his line of questioning, and I changed my mind. At one point, I was as confused as Poirot was. Let's just say that it managed to keep me second-guessing myself. Not every detail was explained, but the solution did make sense.

There was no sex and a minor amount of bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this interesting mystery.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Excerpt: Read an excerpt using Google Preview.

No comments: