Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Murder in Three Acts by Agatha Christie

book cover
Murder in Three Acts
by Agatha Christie


Paperback: 336 pages
Released: 1934

Source: Borrowed from my local library.

Book Description, Modified from Back Cover:
Thirteen guests arrived at dinner at the actor's house. It was to be a particularly unlucky evening for the mild-mannered Reverend Stephen Babbington, who choked on his cocktail, went into convulsions and died. But when his martini glass was sent for chemical analysis, there was no trace of poison -- and there was absolutely no motive. But when another one of the guests is murdered at a different dinner party in the same fashion, it's clear the first death wasn't from natural causes.


My Review:
Murder in Three Acts is a historical mystery set in 1934 in England (though it was written as a contemporary mystery). It was a clue-based puzzle mystery. Whodunit was my strong favorite (of three possible suspects) even when I started guessing whodunit. Whodunit only seemed more likely as more clues surfaced, but someone not familiar with Christie is less likely to guess correctly. Turns out that I was wrong about the motive, though I was surprised how close I was on the motive for the first murder. The characters were interesting and included a character from the Mr. Quinn stories, which was fun.

There was no sex. There was a very minor amount of bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this fun mystery.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Excerpt: Read an excerpt using Google Preview.

No comments: